The CIMPortalTM Plus software toolkit provides a comprehensive equipment data acquisition (EDA) solution for equipment manufacturers. In addition, CIMPortal Plus software can be used by integrated device manufacturers (IDMs) who are retrofitting existing equipment.
The Software Development Kit (SDK) includes tools for designing, developing, testing, optimizing, and deploying EDA/Interface A communications that fully comply with the SEMI standards and accommodate data collection from different software and hardware platforms.
CIMPortal Plus is built upon the award-winning, industry-leading CIMPortal Plus software toolkit that has set the Interface A connectivity standard for semiconductor equipment suppliers. Cimetrix developed CIMPortal Plus specifically to help equipment makers support both versions of the EDA/Interface A standards - Freeze Version I (1105) and Freeze Version II (0710).
In addition, CIMPortal Plus supports the more recent SEMI E164 Specification for EDA Common Metadata. The E164 standard, initially approved by SEMI in mid-2012, was developed to encourage companies using Interface A connections to provide a more common representation of equipment metadata based upon the SEMI E125 Specification for Equipment Self-Description. Developers can use the Metadata Conformance Analyzer (MCA), available from SEMATECH, to validate the equipment models they generate.
Equipment suppliers use the CIMPortal Plus software to implement an EDA/Interface A factory connection in the minimum amount of time and cost. In particular, they like the many features CIMPortal Plus offers that make tool model building easier than any other solution, including an easy-to-use GUI with Visual Studio-style property windows and drop-down menus for drag-and-drop model building.
Complete EDA/Interface A Connectivity Solution
Cimetrix actively participated on the SEMI EDA Standards committee to generate industry standards, and with SEMATECH (ISMI) to develop software products for testing completed equipment EDA interfaces that facilitate data acquisition integration and improve data quality.
The CIMPortal Plus software is part of the complete Cimetrix EDA/Interface A connectivity solution that supports both the equipment-side and the client-side implementation of SEMI standards.
In addition to CIMPortal Plus, Cimetrix offers:
- EDAConnectTM software to enable semiconductor and LED fabs to gather data from wafer processing and testing equipment. This data is vital for identifying opportunities to reduce costs, improve quality, and increase productivity.
- Equipment Client Connection Emulator (ECCE), an EDA reference client with an easy-to-use Graphical User Interface, used to for testing the connection and verifying messages. Cimetrix developed ECCE under contract with SEMATECH
Once the Interface A solution is completed, multiple Interface A Clients implemented by the fab can simultaneously establish sessions with the CIMPortal Plus Engine, define Data Collection Plans and receive the generated Data Collection Reports. After deployment, the E132 authentication, message security and diagnostics features are configurable through the CIMPortal Administrator without the need to restart. In accordance with the SEMI EDA standards, CIMPortal Plus provides all of the features necessary so that the semiconductor fab can extend the Equipment Model with new components and metadata.
Fabs can use the Interface A data they gather for fault detection and classification (FDC), run-to-run control, equipment health monitoring, chamber/tool matching, predictive maintenance, virtual metrology, e-diagnostics, and many other equipment-related analytical applications.
Visit the CIMPortal Resources page for more information.
CIMPortal Plus Development Environment
Equipment Model Development
The heart of a good EDA interface is the equipment model.The model describes the major equipment components in a hierarchal form and lists all of the associated Parameters, Events, Exceptions, and SEMIObjTypes available for data gathering. During development, use the Equipment Modeling GUI to map the data available through Cimetrix Data Collection Interface Modules (DCIM) and custom DCIM with the XML Equipment Model.
The CIMPortal Plus toolkit includes many features that make model building easy. There is a GUI with Visual Studio-style property windows and drop-down menus for model building. Using the new Model Wizard in the CIMPortal Plus Equipment Model Developer, you will generate an equipment model that complies with Freeze Version I, Freeze Version II, and E164 right out of the box. You can then customize the model to match your exact equipment configuration. In addition, the EMDeveloper guides you through the process for proper Metadata Conformance Analyzer (MCA) validation testing. Alternatively, you can develop equipment models programmatically from your application, making calls directly into the model library.
You can also add Access Control Lists to create protected data that only authorized clients can access.
Testing the Interface
The CIMPortal Plus software development kit includes tools for testing, optimizing, and deploying an EDA/Interface A solution. Performance and flexibility have been carefully considered to allow adherence to SEMATECH requirements while considering the technical challenges when integrating multiple distinct data sources.
During development, testing, and optimization, you can use the Cimetrix ECCE SEMI EDA Reference client to validate the Interface A implementation.
Conditional Value Triggers and SEMI E157
A significant new feature added in Interface A Freeze Version II was conditional value triggers for traces. Conditional value triggers provides the ability to start and stop tracing when a certain given condition is true. This capability, combined with the SEMI E157 Specification for Module Process Tracking standard, offers a powerful way to collect data at precise times during wafer processing that cannot be accomplished with GEM alone. The result is that less data is required, reducing the data gathering effort, and producing data that is far more focused, simplifying the effort to store and analyze it.
CIMPortal Plus enables equipment suppliers to take advantage of the SEMI E157 Module Process Tracking standard.
While not required by Interface A, CIMPortal Plus also provides the ability to store process data in a local database through the CIMStore database service module, which you can use for local diagnostics and performance optimization.
In addition, software applications running on non-Windows operating systems like Unix can provide data directly into CIMPortal Plus using the TCP/IP DCIM or TCP/IP App DCIM using a TCP/IP port. While CIMPortal Plus must run on a Windows computer, it is common to use CIMPortal Plus with equipment that has non-Windows computers. Equipment suppliers that use PLCs, Unix, or QNX based control systems add a Windows PC to run CIMPortal Plus to handle the factory communications. Software architects frequently design internal equipment networks with software applications to communicate between systems.
- SECS/GEM SEMI Standards: Reference to an equipment interface that complies with SEMI standards,E5 (SECS-II), E30 (GEM), and E37 (HSMS) to provide basic fab MES connectivity. CIMPortal Plus can utilize the features in these standards as one source to generate Interface A Data Collection Reports. These standards also provide the foundation for other connectivity standards such as E39, E40, E87, E90, E94, and E116.
- E120 Specification for the Common Equipment Model (CEM) and E125 Specification for Equipment Self Description (EqSD): SEMI E120 defines the Common Equipment Model, an abstract model for describing an equipment's physical structure. SEMI E125 is a specific implementation of E120 for equipment self-description that includes units, types, events, state models, equipment structure, and alarms/exceptions. CIMPortal Plus requires a unique data model file for each tool that adheres to these standards. CIMPortal Plus includes an XML schema to enforce the rules for the data model file.
- E132 Specification for Equipment Client Authentication and Authorization: SEMI E132 defines client authentication and a flexible authorization scheme to control client access. A client cannot access any information through Interface A until authenticated by CIMPortal Plus. Authenticated clients must obtain authority to access data within Interface A. This allows equipment suppliers and fabs to establish rules that restrict access to sensitive or proprietary information.
- E134 Specification for Data Collection Management: SEMI E134 defines the format and usage of Data Collection Plans and Data Collection Reports for Interface A messaging. CIMPortal Plus accepts standard Data Collection Plans from Interface A Clients and generates the appropriate standard Data Collection Reports using Web Services.
- E157 Specification for Model Process Tracking: The SEMI E157 Module Process Tracking standard provides a common paradigm for equipment to report data associated with recipe step execution without requiring equipment to change existing recipe definitions. E157 helps both device makers and users of equipment data to collect information from specific process program (Module Recipe Execution) steps.
- E164 Specificatin for EDA Common Metadata: The purpose of the E164 specification is to encourage companies developing EDA/Interface A connections to implement a more common representation of equipment metadata. By following the E164 standard, equipment suppliers and fabs can establish greater consistency from tool-to-tool and from fab-to-fab. That consistency will make it easier and faster for equipment suppliers to provide a consistent EDA interface, and for fabs to develop EDA client applications.
Related SEMI SECS/GEM Standards
Some of this information may require Acrobat Reader available for free from Adobe.
- Download the CIMPortal Plus Datasheet
- Request the CIMPortal Plus Product Overview
- Visit the CIMPortal Resources page to request more information on the product
- Download the complete white paper on the SEMI EDA Standards
- View a Presentation on SEMI EDA Standards Features & Benefits
- View the complete list of Cimetrix's Interface A software products & tools
Schedule an architecture discussion to discuss your individual project requirements.